[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:22:02 PDT 2011

At 02:44 AM 10/30/2011, you wrote:

>Salut Cozyns,
>
>So, when Rowan won Crown, who did the "Queen's Champion" fight to
>protect?

The Queen, of course. The fact that she was the sovereign as well was
just a cool detail.

>Was it a "Consort's Champion"?

Nope. On Sunday morning of Queen's Champion we held a second
tournament to choose a King's Rapier Champion. (Note that this was
before the custom of holding the King's Champion tournament on the
morning of Coronation had started.)

The list of Queen's Champions on the Ansteorran heraldic website says
Galen Nicolli was Rowans Queen's Champion
  http://herald.ansteorra.org/OP/op-awards.php?submit=List&id=18  and
that Hector-as-consort had *two* champions: Thorland O'Shea for
rapier and Patrick Michael Gordonne for armored.
http://herald.ansteorra.org/OP/op-awards.php?submit=List&id=12  It's
possible that the list is incorrect and Pat was actually the
Sovereign's Champion, not the King's Champion; I don't remember at this point.

>If that happened again, would you voice these same objections?

Why? If there's a Queen, either as Sovereign or Consort, we'll have
Queen's Champion. If there are two Kings, then things get strange.

>Besides, your objections, as stated here, make the assumptions the
>same-sex Crown and Consort would be two men.
>
>En Lyonel

Considering that in the SCA's 46 year history, there has been *one*
Queen by right of arms and (I think) five or six Princesses by right
of arms, that's a fairly reasonable assumption to make.

         -Tivar Moondragon