[Ansteorra] Same Sex Consorts

Susan Wieland swieland3 at austin.rr.com
Mon Oct 31 09:09:59 PDT 2011

Well, this argument is now moot for me, because neither my lady or I are
good enough to win crown anymore.  There was a time, that Gunnora fought
in crown but was not allowed to fight for me due to SCA opposite sex
laws.  She fought for Master Eule instead.  However unlikely, IF she had
won, I would have still been part of the court but not a royal.  You
know its almost like the mundane military's previous DADT policy.  As
long as you lie about who are they don't care who you sleep with and
they don't mind you serving.  So telling the crown lists that someone of
the opposite sex inspires you (assumed when you name an opposite sex
consort) when its really your same sex partner annoys me a bit.  Now the
actuality of our situation is I or my lady don't have to worry about
being banned if we do tell who we are (and everybody knows anyway).
This game is fun for me and I decided at the beginning of my joining the
SCA that if I had to lie to be accepted, I wouldn't play.  It turns out,
we are accepted and loved for who we are in all ways, but this
particular one.

Another point I wanted to make.  A female fighter that I know in another
kingdom, is a male persona.  But he (mka:she) was NOT allowed to fight
in crown lists for his/(her) lady , a biological female.  I do have a
real problem with that.  This is all pretend anyway isn't it?  He would
have been King.  His lady would have been Queen.  Why was this NOT
allowed? Male persona King and female persona Queen.  What was the
problem with this?  Does the SCA need plumbing officers to check
plumbing of crown lists participants to ensure a heterosexual couple is
on the throne?  What was the real issue in that case?

In service to the dream which includes us all,
Damaris, OL

--
-Cleverly disquised as a responsible adult-