[Ansteorra] Same-Sex Consorts

Kevinkeary kevinkeary at aol.com
Mon Oct 31 09:27:28 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, I expect that making this change would cost us more memberships than it would gain us. I say unfortunately because I agree with you, Arthur on where the side of Justice is in this matter.

Like it or not, we cannot escape our 21st-century notions. Nor should we always. The Current Middle Ages reflect the real ones just about as well as the lays of Eleanor's Court reflected the truth of Arthur Rex's time (which existed whether or not he himself did), and for the same reasons. I wish sometimes the SCA had been incorporated as a social organization in the first place rather than an educational one. But as has already been said, that diverges into a wholly different issue, so let's not go there right now.

On the issue of 'equal representation', which some have brought up, I have to ask why equal representation by gender is so much more important than equal representation by ethnicity (real-world OR persona), age, or field of expertise. There is no reason, historically or 'bowing to 21st-century political correctness' that it should be singled out, but it is, simply because that is the status quo.  And speaking of the status quo ...

In Ansteorra's OP today there are 36 counts and 50 countesses, of whom 18 are also dukes and 20 are also duchesses. I leave it to the astute student to see how this minor but statistically significant 'gender bias' came about.
Kevin