[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts‏

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 13:46:03 PDT 2011

Queen Rowan III's consort was King Hector III.

Of the queens regnant in British history:

Mary I was married to King Phillip II of Spain.
Elizabeth I never married.
Mary II was married to William, Prince of Orange. They became Queen and
King of Great Britain (William III in England, William II in
Scotland) after James II was deposed in the Glorious Revolution. William
succeeded Mary after her death.
Anne was married to HRH Prince George of Denmark (whose older brother was
King Christian V).
Victoria was married to HRH Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha (he was
styled "Royal Highness" instead of "Serene Highness" like most German
princes because his house--Wettin--was also the royal family of Saxony),
who long after their marriage was granted the title HRH The Prince Consort
in the United Kingdom.
The current Queen is married to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, a title granted
to him after his marriage to the then-Princess Elizabeth. I believe he is
the only man ever to be created an HRH in the United Kingdom.

Only the last two had titles created for them, and Prince Albert is the
only person in British history who was legally titled "HRH The Prince
Consort."

Detlef

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 3:28 PM, James Crouchet <james at crouchet.com> wrote:

> I believe the correct term for a non-sovereign male on the throne is prince
> or prince-consort, not king. Is that not correct?
>
> Christian Doré

Hwæt! We Gardena         in geardagum,
þeodcyninga,         þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas         ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing         sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum,         meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas.         Syððan ærest wearð
feasceaft funden,         he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum,         weorðmyndum þah,
oðþæt him æghwylc         þara ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade         hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan.         þæt wæs god cyning!