[Ansteorra] Royalty - Same Sex Consorts

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 20:29:23 PDT 2011

At 01:31 PM 10/31/2011, you wrote:

>The concerns of the rapier community MUST be taken seriously (okay, there
>is your "must" right there). The rapier community is an integral part of
>the Ansteorran experience, and I don't see rapier combat taking a six-month
>hiatus while the kingdom had two kings and no queen. Ansteorra
>simply wouldn't be Ansteorra without our rapier fighters.

That wouldn't happen, no matter who was on the Throne. There *are*
rapier tournaments besides Queen's Champion, after all.

>Just musing this afternoon.....if we were to find outselves with two kings
>on the throne, what would be the feasability of inviting all of the former
>queens of Ansteorra to take part in the royal patronage of the rapier
>community? All of the chivalry guard the Crown of Ansteorra while the
>kingdom has no king; could not the Ladies of the Rose guard the rapier
>community while the kingdom had no queen? Instead of a Queen's Champion,
>that reign could see a Queens' Champion. But then, how would the oath of
>fealty work?

What oath of fealty? The White Scarves swear an oath of *loyalty* to
the Queen, King and Kingdom at Coronation. Any rapier fighter who
wants to, swears an oath of protection to the Queen at Queen's
Champion. Neither of these oaths involve fealty.

>Who would wear the white scarf that is traditionally worn by
>the Queen? Maybe the White Scarves of Ansteorra could make an oath of
>fealty to the Crown and Kingdom, as always, but then the Crown could
>ceremonially place the entire rapier community in the care of the Queens of
>Ansteorra, who would represent the Crown in the stead of a sitting Queen.
>And then a chosen representative of the Ladies of the Rose could wear the
>white scarf that is part of the royal regalia. Any elevations to the WSA
>could be attended, not only by the members of the order, but also by the
>Ladies of the Rose, who would take an active part in the elevation ceremony.

Although it's rarely done that way, both the Queen *and* the King are
entitled to wear a White Scarf, as the ceremonial heads of our Order.
If I'm at Coronation, when pinning on the Queen's Scarf, I will ask
His Majesty if he wants to wear a Scarf as well--and lend him one, if
need be. But usually His Majesty politely declines that honor.

         -Tivar Moondragon