[Ansteorra] Upcoming Calendar Changes

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Sep 12 14:27:07 PDT 2011

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011, Bree Flowers <evethejust at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, I know that the least popular phrase in the SCA has to be "well
> in this other kingdom..." but Avacal (a principality of AnTir) put in
> a very similar rule a few years back, so it might be worth contacting
> them and just asking what their experience with this rule change was.
> Might as well build off the work of others when you can right?

  From my dim memories of living there, I think the Middle had similar
rules for calendar conflicts from the early 1990s.  I see in their
current calendar page

     Excerpt from Middle Kingdom Law - XVI-1100
     Events cannot be placed on the Kingdom Calendar or in the Pale
     [the kingdom newsletter] if scheduled for a date already reserved
     by a group within a 100-mile radius, unless the group hosting the
     event previously scheduled gives permission.

     If the first group denies permission, exceptions permitting the
     scheduling of the second event within the 100-mile radius include
     specific-focus events that will clearly and unmistakably appeal to
     generally very different audiences, i.e. a dance event and a war
     practice, an equestrian challenge and a bardic arts symposium,
     etc.  This determination will be made by the Kingdom Calendar.  If
     permission is refused and the difference in audience appeal is not
     clear cut, the Kingdom Seneschal will make the final ruling in the
     conflict.

How well these rules work for them I wot not.  I would bet that lots
of other kingdoms have rules of various types.

Danett de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com