[Ansteorra] Noble Experiment

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 09:30:25 PDT 2012

At 10:17 PM 3/31/2012, you wrote:
>Aoife / ajquig at cableone.net wrote
>>This is an interesting "what if".  It immediately reminded me of ...
>
>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Michelle Dodd <lygabrielerdb at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>What is the 'tale'? Who is the author?
>
>The tale was posted to this list about 12 hours before the note you
>replied to and about 15 hours before your reply, with the subject line
>     fwd: The Noble Experiment Re-visited. A Mind Exercise for SCAers
>     up to t
>You can read the whole message at
>http://lists.ansteorra.org/pipermail/ansteorra-ansteorra.org/2012-March/078277.html
>
>In brief, it was a message on the rec.org.sca Usenet newsgroup, with
>the historical what-if premise
>
>     ... a square mile around Kings Arrow Ranch [during Gulf Wars] has
>     been moved to a forest in 13th Century England.  Join us on a new
>     list (TNEII at yahoogroups.com) for an experiment of the mind.
>     What do we do now?  How do we survive?  What do we have available?
>     What knowledge, skills and resources can we bring to bear on this
>     situation?

And, for those who don't want to chase the link, that situation is
based on a similar thread from the early days of the Rialto--the SCA
newsgroup, rec.org.sca, now (unfortunately) 99% dormant--which
postulated Pennsic being transported to 1350 England.

>_Island in the Sea of Time_ et seq are books by S&M Stirling with a
>similar premise, with Nantucket Island being transported from 1998 to
>1250 BC (in its same geographical location, I believe).
>
>Danihel Lincolia

Correct. That's the "other half" of the "Dies the Fire" stories: a
trilogy about modern-day Nantucket Island getting swapped for its
1250 BC version. Interesting things happen.

In "Dies the Fire" and its sequels, as a side effect of Nantucket
being swapped, pretty much all modern technology stops
working--electricity, gunpowder, atomics, steam or gasoline engines,
etc. (No, it's never really explained *how* basic laws of physics can
be set aside in such an arbitrary fashion, but if you can suspend
your disbelief around that particular detail, the stories are pretty good.)

         -Tivar Moondragon