[Ansteorra] Nicknames in the SCA-starting a conversation

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Dec 24 08:34:04 PST 2012

> By _submitting_ a name for registration, we're _asking_ for Authenticity
> Mavens to police because Corpora says it will be.  By _using_ a name at
> Events, we're not  -- It's Fun Maven time.

I've got a bit of a different outlook on the approach right now because of
my current role within the SCA. I look at it as Formal and Informal usage
instead of Authenticity and Fun.

When I became a Territorial Baron, I needed to be a bit more formal so my
registered name (Phelim Gervase) got brought out and dusted off for official
functions.

I've gone by my nick name (Pug) longer than I've been in the Society and use
it even in my professional work. While it is a term of endearment going back
to period and is thought to be a variation of "puck" which are mischievous
nature spirits/imps, it isn't something that one would use in formal
occasions. Hell, even Queen Elizabeth is said to have affectionately
referred to Sir Walter Raleigh as "my Pug" and her "silly Pug" in her
writings, but I doubt that would be how he was introduced when being
introduced.

This situational name difference has been quite difficult for people who've
known me for a long time, but I only reinforce the use of "Baron Phelim"
when it's needed, such as Court or when acting as the Crown's
representative. How I generally explain it to people is that by default in
the branches I represent I am "Baron Phelim" but depending on what topic we
are in the middle of it could involve "Master Pug", "Centurion Pug" or "Pug
Bainter".

It is quite different to call me Pug telling stories about the recent melees
and calling me Pug when officially bringing a problem to me as the Baron of
Bryn Gwlad. If you bring me a baronial/stronghold problem and assume
familiarity instead of formality, I am going to take that into account when
judging the seriousness of the topic.

Baron Phelim Gervase called Pug
Bryn Gwlad