[Ansteorra] Underage Participation In The SCA

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Mon Feb 6 23:50:54 PST 2012

> In the SCA we have always done things we did not want to have to reduce
or eliminate our liabilities. We have weapon and armor standards that we
hope reduce our liabilities, waivers we sign and rules we follow because
all we hope that doing so will reduce our liabilities.

Liability has not been our only or even our primary concern in writing most
of these rules. I have written a lot of the rapier rules for Ansteorra and
some of the society level rules a well. While we always have to consider
liability the top concern has always been safety.  It is not the same and
it is an important distinction.  There have been cases where the two
conflict and it is safety that wins. Our first obligation is to keep our
friends safe, then we can worry about keeping the corporation safe.

> It is now apparent that having people underage participation in the SCA
accounts for over 90% of all of our liabilities in the SCA.

Where did you get this number?  Considering the huge liability potential of
feasts, I suspect that is our number one liability issue.  I'm sure there
are a couple of others before we even get to combat. You think child abuse
cases are expensive? Consider the price tag for wrongful death.

Christian Doré