[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Feb 7 13:34:52 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Cionaodh O'Hosey
<CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net wrote:
> People hate the idea of requiring memberships to play, the so called
> "pay to play" argument, but it is what is necessary to cover these
> costs.
>
> People hate the idea of "non-member charges" at events, but it is
> what is necessary to cover these costs.

I disagree with both of those statements.  In particular, since "pay
to play" has never been implemented in the SCA and eppur si muovi,
it is demonstrably unnecessary.

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012, Randy Shipp <randyshipp at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm always a little surprised at how much people can do in the SCA
> without being members.  Most of the clubs and organizations I've
> been a part of or known about have required membership to enjoy most
> of the privileges.

I've attended these non-SCA organizations in the past decade: Austin
Perl Mongers, Austin Linux Users' Group, Central Texas Linux Users'
Group, English country dances, contra dances, Launch Pad Job Club.
Not only was membership not required for any of them, several of them
don't even have the concept of "membership", though several of those
are small.

Danet de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com