[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Alma Danks wenchalma at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 7 15:50:21 PST 2012

I have seen parents do this at some events. But I have also seen parents bring babysitters with them. Or leave thier children at home when they were going to be too busy at the event to care for thier children. I have had parents ask for me to watch thier children. I agreed, because I enjoy spending time with the children. We don't have kids,( we weren't blessed)  But enjoy thier company. I grew up in a different country. Where folks believed it took a village to raise a child.
This was not that great for us kids... They told my folks when they seen us do wrong or seen us something dangerous. But they also saved my sister, when she was attacked by a herd of rams. They jumped in to help her, while I ran to get my folks. This I believed was more the exception to the rule then normal. I also believe the SCA is the exception to the rule, as compared to other groups. I think that most parents do a great job of watching thier children at events and in thier lives in general. I'm so sorry that your SCA experience was ruined. But I am sure that a word dropped into the right ear, would take care of this matter for you. In our barony, children must not be out of the parents sight, unless a willing adult is taking care of them. One of my favorite events during the year is Yule. We plan fun events for the children and I love to see them having fun. I believe that a bored child is a child about to get into trouble...  So parents can take
 turns bringing toys, games and things for the kids to play with...