[Ansteorra] Children in the Sca

Richard Threlkeld rjt at softwareinnovation.com
Thu Feb 9 07:54:46 PST 2012

I believe the rule for children at Ansteorran events is the children must be
within sight and sound of the parent or guardian. Guardians must have the
proper paperwork. That means if you run to the nearby store, take your
children or have a properly executed guardian form for someone at the site
already done and give them the children. When my children were that young,
we had a couple of such forms done and notarized "just in case".

The people at the event, including the autocrat and the Seneschal, must
enforce the rules. When I was Seneschal of our Barony, we had a mom who had
worked with the kids all day, so she gave a little girl (perhaps 4 years
old) to the dad to mind. He put her in a pavilion on the list field and went
out to fight. Whenever he left the pavilion, she would wander away to find
mom. After the second time we intervened (she had wandered onto the edge of
the field), we told him that either he or mom needed to watch her or we
would have to ask them to leave. The dad (a Knight) was very cross with us,
but decided to stop fighting rather than incur the wrath of his wife by
asking her to take over (the right and honorable decision in my humble
opinion). This was not mindless rule enforcement. It was keeping the child
safe. And it was asking the people who should care the most to assume their
legitimate responsibility.

In Service,
Caelin on Andrede