[Ansteorra] The original complaint filed.

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:39:33 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 6:09 PM, Chris Zakes <dontivar at gmail.com> wrote:
> At 05:15 PM 2/9/2012, Eve wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Cionaodh O'Hosey
>> <CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net> wrote:

>> > I would always report such things, that said, not wanting to have to
>> > look
>> > out for the safety of children makes me want to seek an adult only
>> > activity.
>> > I doubt I am alone.
>> >
>> > Cionaodh O'Hosey
>>
>> I have a brilliant idea! Let's see how "not alone" you are with this
>> thought. Plan a no-children event. It can be like an SCA event in
>> every other way, hold whatever activities you like (chivalric combat,
>> rapier, archery, equestrian, feasting, classes) pick whatever theme
>> inspires you, but just have a "no minors are permitted onsite at this
>> event" policy. See if a group will agree to sponsor it. Then see how
>> many people attend and you'll have your answer.
>>
>> And no, before anyone thinks this is sarcasm, it's not. Some of us
>> might like to have a day free of children (ours or anyone else's).
>> There might be a permanent home for this on the calendar if it does
>> well. And if it's a complete failure, well then we know we don't have
>> to even discuss the idea of the entire society going child-free ever
>> again.
>

> Well... to really meet Cionaodh's goal of a child-free SCA, you'd have to
> have an event that not only didn't allow children, but didn't allow people
> who *have* children to attend. Or maybe you could cut the parents a little
> slack, and if they've got kids, then only one parent could attend, while the
> other one stayed home with the kids.
>
> That'd be a much more realistic portrayal of the SCA he seems to want.
>
>        -Tivar Moondragon

Tivar,

Please take the suggestion in the good nature in which it was
intended. People who *have* children would be perfectly welcome at
this event. There are such things as babysitters and grandparents, and
some of us folks with children go to other things without them
(movies, dinners, concerts, heck my parents used to take 1 week
anniversary getaways). As much as I love my kids, they're not some
sort of growth I would need to have surgically removed, and despite
appearances they are not in fact attached to me at the hip.

I don't see a problem with trying this for one event and letting
people vote with their feet. Someone other than me would have to step
up and plan it though, I'm too busy with my kids ;)

~Eve