[Ansteorra] Rapier Question

Mike Dudley casualgeek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 11:44:11 PST 2012

There is no requirement for a metal washer to be inserted in the tip.

e. All blade ends must be capped with rubber, plastic, or leather.
     i. Tips will have a blunt striking surface, presenting a
cross-section of at least 3/8"
        (9mm) diameter.
     ii. Tips must be firmly taped or glued in place. The tip must be
of a color contrasting
         with the blade so that the tip's absence is readily apparent.
If tape is used, it must
         contrast both blade and tip.

A metal washer was something recommend with tips that had a large
opening as the tip of the blade had more play.  Darkwood tips work
more on friction to keep them from moving back and forth.  Darkwood
tips should fit snugly to the blade tip to keep them from moving.
>From their website.
Quote:
They do not have metal in the ends. Tips must fit very tightly to
function properly. If the slides easily onto the blade end, then put a
layer of tape or thin leather on the end of the blade until the tip is
difficult to get on. This prevents the blade from piercing the end of
the tip. Failure to ensure a tight fit will result in premature
failure of the tip.
End Quote.

I hope this helps.

- Lord Collwyn O'Snowdon