[Ansteorra] Ansteorra and Lawsuit

willowdewisp at juno.com willowdewisp at juno.com
Tue Feb 7 17:30:16 PST 2012

I have raised two boys in the SCA and in Ansteorra and believe we have been working very hard for years to make sure our children are safe. I know there where lots of rules I had to follow . Other group just pretended that children didn't existed,
I would like to change the subject a little. Over the years I have talked to mothers of boys in their teens who seem to be preyed on by Older women. While in most of the cases there was a "boys will be boys" feeling about these situations I would like to point out that the person who is doing the wrong doing isn't the "boy" but the "older" woman.
To have a sexual encounter with anyone under the age of consent is a crime. I know in some cases the girl was just old enough and the boy just not old enough, but it doesn't matter in the eyes of the law it is wrong. I know when my sons were 14 and had their AOA's and stood 6'3'' young ladies were always coming up to me and asking "how old are your boys"  I  was even asked after they turned 18. My reply was that they were adults in the eyes of the law and they didn't have to ask my permission.
Just like young men who has to be careful about that young girl who is making eyes at him, women need to be careful about that young man hitting on her..
I have found it a good idea to explain to our children why they shouldn't do something. I know my boys were always being given drinks. They would thank people and not take the drink unless I give it to them and I could see them. That was the law in Texas. They did this because the SCA was important to them and they didn't want to see it hurt.
willow