[Ansteorra] The original complaint filed.

Bree Flowers evethejust at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 15:15:42 PST 2012

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Cionaodh O'Hosey
<CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 2012, at 4:20 PM, chris st. john wrote:
>
>> If you answer no to these questions, why would you not report a child in
>> an unsafe situation?
>

> I would always report such things, that said, not wanting to have to look
> out for the safety of children makes me want to seek an adult only activity.
> I doubt I am alone.
>
> Cionaodh O'Hosey

I have a brilliant idea! Let's see how "not alone" you are with this
thought. Plan a no-children event. It can be like an SCA event in
every other way, hold whatever activities you like (chivalric combat,
rapier, archery, equestrian, feasting, classes) pick whatever theme
inspires you, but just have a "no minors are permitted onsite at this
event" policy. See if a group will agree to sponsor it. Then see how
many people attend and you'll have your answer.

And no, before anyone thinks this is sarcasm, it's not. Some of us
might like to have a day free of children (ours or anyone else's).
There might be a permanent home for this on the calendar if it does
well. And if it's a complete failure, well then we know we don't have
to even discuss the idea of the entire society going child-free ever
again.

I'm all for trying something new. And heck, if there were more
"themed" events I might drag my butt out to more things. Child-free
might not be my preferred theme, but I don't see a problem with a
small event focused at a specific audience. One of my favorite events
was a "board game championship", only 30 people attended and the post
revel was pot-luck desserts instead of a feast, but I had a great
time, and the organizer picked the perfect site so it broke even and
everything (might have made money actually, I can't remember). Let's
be Creative!

~Eve