[Ansteorra] Itemizing Expenses (WAS: Children in the SCA)

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 20:03:29 PST 2012

So you would have a tournament with no water, save for what you bring yourself, and no restrooms? It's possible that children do so more than knights, but I have it on the very best advice that everybody poops. And an air-conditioned hall for 125 tables (That's 250+ artisans!) sounds wonderful, but not very realistic. In truth, we practice our arts everywhere, including in the full heat and view of the field, while we watch the fighters walk back and forth from the air-conditioned halls that we normally rent for Crown Tournament and other fighting events. And surely the view of our displays have dazzled your eyes, for even our upcoming Kingdom Arts & Sciences event has but 30 entrants, some of whom don't require a table at all.

Also, I am a little confused by some of your costs. A grand hall like the one we're using this weekend, with air-conditioning, setup, and cleanup included, is less than a thousand dollars while a popular site in Oklahoma City with two halls and two kitchens is less than five hundred. One hall is open air, to be sure, but that has yet to stop a bevy of activities and wonderful taverns from being served there. Indeed, you have also left out the marshal's tabards and sticks, the gates, the ropes, the pavilions and related-equipment, water bearing supplies, and so on. Why, thinking back, it would seem that almost everything in our Baronial storage unit is for the fighters, and almost all of our Baronial costs are for the equipment and events that we hold for the purpose of using the same. (And the most recent area of legal concern has been fighter support, yet the water bearers like myself have seen fit to take that liability upon ourselves, which should
 surely be a cost to be borne by the fighters, as well as a portion of my event fee, to cover my services... As long as we're itemizing.)

Again, I don't begrudge the fighters' their gear, nor the costs of the attorneys to make their game legal, nor the costs of reporting forms, waivers, fighter cards, and the immense staff that is needed for all of the various fields, from the Shire's marshal to the Society Earl Marshal, from the Baronial Seneschal to the Kingdom Waiver Secretary, from the teenaged water bearer to the Kingdom Chirurgeon. I simply don't believe that martial activities cost the least nor incur the least liability. In fact, I believe the opposite, but judge martial activities to be worthwhile of supporting with my membership, my site fee, and my non-financial services, such as waterbearing, scribal, etc. (Upon further thought, perhaps we should be paying the Pelicans to attend...)

Good luck with your itemizing. Please remember to review your Baronial end-of-year report, as well as the same for Kingdom and Society, before you declare your report to be complete, and please do forward your results to me. I shall be very interested to see how the costs add up for each activity.

-Rose the Obnoxious

tongue lightly in cheek

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile. ~Hippocrates