[Ansteorra] iso european dancers ??

Charlene Charette charlene281 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:40:17 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Sweet, Debby
<deborah.s.sweet at okstate.edu> wrote:

> Too true. In the past we had the Kingdom Dance event. If more people are interested in dancing, maybe it's time to think about rejuvenating that (or a similar) event.

Heck, Steppes even hosted Known World Dance. I've heard some rumblings
that people want to do a kingdom dance. I'm not in a position right
now to steward an event, but I'd definitely be willing and happy to
help out whether it's teaching, running a ball, organizing, etc.
[Hint: The event steward doesn't need to be a dancer. He or she just
needs to find an appropriate site, handle gate, arrange food (if
desired). The dance community can handle class scheduling and balls.]

> --Antoine said:
>>The real question is, how do we interest more people in doing it,
>>just for the fun of it?
>
> That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

I think part of it is a downward spiral. If people don't see dancing
happen, they don't think about it. If they see dancers having fun,
they want to join in. We've come out these spirals before and it can
be done again.

> And then he (Antoine) said:
>>Surely, picking some easy, fun dances, even if they're a little
>>anachronistic, would be a good start?
>
> Don't go there, man, just don't go there. The problem becomes when that is ALL that the dancers are willing to dance -- there are fun, easy, period, dances. And I'll stop there.

Exactly. A few grossly-out-of-period dances are fine (if people know
that's what they are), but when three quarters of the dances are in
that category....

> And Myfanwy said
>>As somebody stated, Bryn Gwlad's Candlemas has started a tradition of having
>>dances between the removes of feast.

SERIOUSLY bummed I missed it. I picked up a bug at the Shadowlands
event the previous weekend and wasn't well enough to travel.

--Perronnelle