[Ansteorra] iso european dancers ??

Randy Shipp randyshipp at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 18:58:36 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM, Charlene Charette
<charlene281 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And then he (Antoine) said:
>>>Surely, picking some easy, fun dances, even if they're a little
>>>anachronistic, would be a good start?
>>
>> Don't go there, man, just don't go there. The problem becomes when that is ALL that the dancers are willing to dance -- there are fun, easy, period, dances. And I'll stop there.
>>

> Exactly. A few grossly-out-of-period dances are fine (if people know
> that's what they are), but when three quarters of the dances are in
> that category....

----------
I think I wasn't clear.  I was still talking about the concern a
couple of folks had expressed about the dancing only being for "late
period" types.  I just meant it would be OK for 14th century types to
dance a 16th century dance if it gets people going while we worry
about finding more period-appropriate dances for the earlier folks.

Plus, this argument sounds like the old SCA authenticity argument in
miniature.  For those who value authenticity (and I wish it were more
of us), it's just a challenge to make doing the more accurate thing
fun and interesting.  Like you said, we should allow for some of the
"iffy" stuff as a gateway but be clear about what it is and actually
use it as a gateway to the "better" stuff.  It's a process.

--Antoine