[Ansteorra] buying recorders (was: iso dance)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 05:35:27 PST 2012

Choosing the right instrument can go a long way to helping tuning and balance, and there is a reason most professional recorder players will avoid playing soprano unless they absolutely have to. Unless you have a very well-made soprano recorder, it is very hard not to sound shrill, and it takes some seriouls control to play a soprano recorder in tune with other instruments.

Early instruments do not transpose. Everything is read at sounding pitch. Actually, I was
looking at a facsimile of a manuscript for one of Purcell's orchestral works, and I noticed that the "flute" part was transposed, after a moment I realised why: it was so that someone playing on a soprano recorder could play the part reading it as if they were playing an alto. So, apparently Purcell's recorder player didn't play soprano that much....

--AS Zorzi