[Ansteorra] recruitment

Beers, Amy AML016 at SHSU.EDU
Sun Jan 15 20:55:36 PST 2012

Speaking as a former president of our local university group here in Raven's Fort, I can say it can be tough to keep newcomers to the SCA. There is a lot to tell a newcomer before their first event and it can get overwhelming. The best way I have found to hook a new person, particularly a college student, is to let them jump in. Give them something that they can do and is close to their interests. If they want to fight but have no gear - let them waterbear during the tourney, then politely ask someone to help them into some loaner gear for a little pickup fight/lesson. If they like the social aspect of the SCA, let them help with feast or cry herald. If they want to do arts, sciences, or bardic activities,  point them in the right direction and then point someone in that field to the newcomer. I have learned during my tenure that people new to the SCA don't need to have someone constantly at their side, but available if they have questions.

I definitely agree that scheduling for college students versus full time workers and families is very difficult. We have had our share of challenges here in RF with that very thing. Some things we have figured out is holding fighter practices in different locations within your area helps - have one practice in one area and another close to the University or area you are pulling a lot of newcomers from. Offer carpool rides - many are eager and grateful for your help! Our college group also schedules craft/A&S nights and meetings on their own, while letting the group know about the local RF populace and fighter practices. We have several people, like myself, who have 'graduated' from the college group into the SCA group alone, and some students who only come to our local events but are very active within the college group.

I feel recruitment is not only about numbers, but also quality. Our group always starts out with 20+ people and we usually end with five fully engaged members. We don't push for the numbers. Instead, we cultivate the core group into a self sustaining bunch of SCAers. A small group of dedicated people helps the newer ones acclimate and enjoy the SCA more when they see these core people and how much they love participating in the Society. A great way to treat a newcomer? Take them to BAM, Gulf Wars, or some other big event where almost everything Ansteorra does is on the schedules. A lot of newcomers are interested in the more obscure things - seige, great melees, and large, varied A&S displays. They will love an event where stuff like that is included.

Rosalia of Raven's Fort
mka Amy Beers
"Let me tell you this: if you meet a loner, no matter what they tell you, it's not because they enjoy solitude. It's because they have tried to blend into the world before, and people continue to disappoint them."