[Ansteorra] First SCA clothes (was: maybe an answer to recruitment problems)

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:20:53 PST 2012

At 05:26 PM 1/17/2012, you wrote:

>My first event garb was the Vulcan priest's robe from 'The Search
>for Spock' film.  I got a few compliments and a friend said it
>looked familiar but he couldn't place it.  I figured 3rd century,
>23rd century, as long as it didn't look 20th century.
>
>That was in 1987.  My garb has improved a bit since then.
>
>Cheers,
>HL Caitlin

I'm reminded of a story someone told in a previous incarnation of
this discussion. She was very new, but had a copy of the "Known World
Handbook". One of the suggestions for first-timer clothes was making
a T-tunic out of an old bedsheet. So she did. Unfortunately, the KWH
article *didn't* specify it should be a solid color, so she showed up
to her first event in a T-tunic with Snoopy all over it.

My first outfit was some black sweatpants and a red v-necked long
sleeved woman's blouse, which I was using for choreographed duels
with a fellow student at Rice University before I'd ever heardof the SCA.

         -Tivar Moondragon