[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 12:38:00 PST 2012

... and I miss the old time in ancient Greece, when everyone was educated and cultured and life was a utopia.

The "Old Glory Days" argument is really trite, and us younger generations have been tired of it since we were 5. Times change, people change, society changes, expectations change... therefore we must change with it. The SCA must change to remain relevant to the modern world, or the modern world will leave it behind. Evolve or die: while we don't need to abandon our mission, we certainly need to constantly reevaluate how we pursue it.

Your self-important statements are useless.  Wishing things were like they used to be, when discussing the present and future of the SCA is absolutely as helpful as an ostrich sticking its head in the sand when attacked by a predator.

Perhaps themanswer is an amendment to themrules about calendar events. Perhaps we should allow multiple calendar eventsmon themsame weekend so long as they are not within 350 miles of each other. Since the 4-hour drive has been mentioned several times, 350 miles is roughly 4 hours of driving.

The cost of living has gone up, and the length of timempeople spend getting an education and finding a career has been extended since your glory days of olde. Placing the same sets of expectations on the finances and schedules of two groups of people from different socioeconomic outlooks is absolutely silly.