[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment (long)

Deborah May auntdwen at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 26 13:20:03 PST 2012

Just a couple of thoughts:

The MET, like most not-for-profit organizations that are actually still above
water, does not rely on ticket sales alone.  They rely to a great extend on
endowments from individuals and corporations that have the capital to invest in
the arts.  For years and years the Metropolitan Opera was sponsored by Texaco.
That's how they could keep their doors open.  That's how they could stage
elaborate operas with incredibly talented folks.  That's how many people across
the United States and the world could hear wonderful music through their
radios--even if they never gave one cent to the Metropolitan Opera.  That was
possible because individuals and corporations were willing to endow them with
millions of dollars.  Philanthropy and a love of the arts, tax shelters and
advertizing were all motives for giving.  I don't think the structure of the SCA
would be able to generate that sort of underlying support.  I therefore don't
think the Met is necessarily a good "Met"aphor. (snicker)

Yes, Tina, you are not the only person whose pocketbook and time (to travel 350
mi in four hours means you go 90 mph w/o bathroom breaks, btw) do not allow you
the luxury of attending events.  It is a sad reality, but those persons whose
time and money limit their ability to be involved at a Kingdom level are
frequently disenfranchised.  As one who lives in the farthest northwestern
reaches of the Kingdom, I know all too well the "you have to travel to count"
arguments from various sources.  Hence acrimonious discussions of "regional
peers" ad nauseum.

Finnican says it well when he says, "...it's how you play that counts."  Or it
should.

I hope you find playing locally as much fun as I have over the years.  Fun is
what it's all supposed to be about, after all.

Blessings,
Mistress Ceridwen