[Ansteorra] recruitment

Suzanne hsetrinity at aol.com
Sun Jan 15 08:19:17 PST 2012

 Greetings, Ansteorra!

I would like to thank Her Grace Duchess Willow for her excellent comments and ideas. I agree that each and every member should be thinking about how we can help to foster newcomers, and perhaps people who have been playing with us for a few years, and help them to transition into our beloved Society.

One of the ways that we can achieve this transition is to mentor people who are either new, new to our Kingdom, or even new to our respective groups. Each and every Barony, Shire, Canton, Stronghold, and Crown Province in Ansteorra has its own unique subculture, but we are all Ansteorra. Look back to your beginning days in the Society and think about what kind of questions you may have had, or what kind of help you may have needed/desired.

Reach out to people and show them how much fun we have.   Above all, allow them to get involved. Most people don't want to sit and watch you run an event, or waterbear, or cook, or fight... they want to participate. Let them help...allow them to volunteer. Allow them to hold a deputy office so that they can understand the requirements.

Remember...., the newcomer that you help today, the fighter that you help to get to events, the artisan that you teach, the waterbearer that you thank with a small piece of largesse..in a few years may be "Your Majesty."   Share the Dream  with them now.

Your servant,

Suzanne Beraud
Kingdom Hospitaler