[Ansteorra] recruitment

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Sun Jan 15 10:12:29 PST 2012

greetings

ok, I admit it I'm an old fart.
some background :
I was 1st introduced to the sca by a friend in trimaris in 1980 / 81, moved
back to ansteorra in 1982 , found the sca at a sci - fi convention the very
day I came back,played for 10 years, moved to calontir, but due to low
income and no transportation I rarely got to play for that 10 years, moved
back to ansteorra, where I have been an officer of some kind for the past 10
years ( sometimes double offices ; )
now some opinions ; )
when I started in the sca, it was common in northern ansteorra, for
experienced players to invite newbie's to activities , both local and at
large.
that personal invite to a " revel " ( actually took 3 tries before I went )
got me doing more than just sitting on my motor cycle and watching the "
idiots hitting each other with sticks" and the " pretty girls in funny
dresses, sitting around chatting, and sewing"
( ok , some of it was needle point , but back then it was all " sewing " )
anyway , I don't know how common it was , but I was lucky enough to have a
pair of experienced players decide that broke or not I needed to go to an
event, so they invited me along to vatavia's valor tourney, provided
transportation, food, drink,site and feast fees. needless to say after that
event I was hooked .they continued to provide what ever I couldn't afford at
events and I began bartering my labor for those items, so it was common to
see me loading and unloading their trailer and car, setting up their camp
site ( as well as others , since helping people who had just arrived set up
camp was both common, and I was told a great way to meet people ),anyway ,
the point is that the experienced people took the time , energy and expense
to " personally " invite me to things , introduced me to commoner and king
alike ( yes even the grumpy chuck " before coffee"  innman, who became your
majesty after coffee ( when he put his hat on ; )
very much like the " mentoring " being suggested in these posts.
but as the sca has gotten more and more " authentic" more and more people
seem to be acting " in period " where strangers were to be suspected and
kept at a distance until they had proven themselves to be trustworthy , and
not a threat to the group.
and as always money is an issue as well, memberships have more than doubled,
same for site fees,feast fees, etc. and now there is the added expense for
newbie's of the " non member sur charge " .  I would suggest that for those
who can afford to travel to war, or even travel all over the kingdom, that
perhaps they could afford to "patron " a newbie. ( pay the nms for a 1st or
2nd event newbie ) .
also perhaps, the people that always have extra space in their vehicle ( car
, truck, trailer, bus, whatever ) could invite known newbie's to come along
to an event, having a dependable ride , or not having to pay much for gas,
or even just knowing that they would know someone at the event may be the
all it takes to get them to go , have a good time and want to go again.
and my final rant for this post........ manners........
when I started , it was considered rude to pass anyone without at least
giving a slight bow of the head, preferably along with a " milord, or a
milady " even if you didn't know it was duke sir every other  king you were
calling milord, it was a polite acknowledgement.
it was also an opening to speak further with them if you chose (
milady....head bow.... may I bother you to ask about your cloak ?  etc . )
yet now it is rare to see such behavior, from newbie to uber duke, everyone
seems to be in a hurry, with no time for manners, or even ( not so common )
courtesy....when I started, if an able bodied male let a lady carry anything
that even looked like it was heavy or cumbersome , the male was looked at as
a lout, and a lay about ( crude and lazy ) but I now see ladies loading
their trucks, setting up and tearing down their own camps, carrying large
baskets , pulling heavy wagons, etc, and young men, and fighters ( whom one
would suspect were able bodied ) constantly ignore , walk right by, or even
sit and watch as the ladies do the heavy lifting etc.   so I must ask ???
how much of " the dream " are people trying to teach ?? we push for exactly
period clothing, camps, gear, and sometimes attitude, and yet, treating a
lady like a lady, showing manners,and grace are ignored, forgotten,or never
taught .

my thought is that as long as we continue to " forget " our manners,we will
continue to lessen " the dream " and make the sca much more modern like , no
matter how " authentic " we may be in dress, or camp ........

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur