[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment

Cionaodh O'Hosey CionaodhOHosey at verizon.net
Tue Jan 24 15:47:26 PST 2012

I am not suggesting we should jettison any one for any reason, what i
am saying is "if greater attendance at calendar events is our goal"
for the best return on our investment of time and effort we should
concentrate our time and efforts on helping any and all players that
we can to participate in calendar events.

And it is not about meeting a minimum requirement, it is about
showing a minimum desire and commitment "So what kingdom event are
you preparing for now? None? So sorry to hear that, excuse me now
while I go help that newbie get ready for what will be his first
event. We only have three months to get him all ready. Would you like
to help? He still needs ......"

Once again successful sports teams don't train every one who shows
up, they work with and train those that will be there on game day (in
this case a calendar event), those that will not be there on game day
(players who do not go to calendar events) can be used to scrimmage
against but the coaches do not put in the time or effort to really
"train" them, but rather use them at what ever level they are already
at, concentrating their training instead on those that will be there
on game day (a calendar event) to play (at the calendar event). If it
is cool with you that our training will be focused on players
expressing a desire to be there on game day (a calendar event) come
on out we would love to train against you, plus in that regard you
are helping to prepare some one else get ready to go to an event
which is all I am saying we all need to be doing in the first place!
(In fighting the main complaint from those people who are used to
train against but not actually trained themselves quickly becomes
"They never teach me any thing, they just use me as a walking pale"
which IS true, but now you can understand why, it is because the
"teachers" are involved in training the players who will be "at the
game" it is not that they don't like you but rather that their time
is limited. If the reason you are not a "Kingdom Player" is because
you don't have time to be one and you want us to understand that,
then i would ask you to understand I don't have time to help the
whole world, I only have time to help those that are going to go to
calendar events)  If what ever local activity you are involved in is
not either preparing some one to go to a calendar event, or helping
to prepare for your groups calendar event, or introducing a new
person to one of those activities, then it is not furthering the goal
of improving attendance at calendar events. That is not to say it is
not fun or rewarding, but it is not furthering the goal of improving
attendance at calendar events.

I also agree that we need to treat everyone the same, we need to
"recycle" our now less active players, that is a great point, we do
put too much emphasis on finding "new" players and not enough
emphasis on motivating our older players, especially those with rank.
Our greatest players are not the ones who have risen to the top, but
rather those who after they are no longer on the top still continue
to make calendar events and help others to do the same, thank them
when you see them because they are few and far between, and if it had
not been for them we would not be where we are today!

Cionaodh O'Hosey