[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:46:13 PST 2012

But the SCA is not a sports team, it is an educational organization (or so
the NPO filing allegedly states). This means that a local player who
researches period blacksmithing and never makes it to an event is
technically fulfilling the "mission" of the SCA than a fighter who goes to
every event and wins every tournament but can't tell you the first thing
about Talhoffer or Fiore.

Then again, those of us who have a niche skill but don't make events are
not as useless as some might say. Sure, I teach classes about period music
infrequently and next to never make events, but how many historical
musicologists are in the SCA? How many artisans in the SCA have formal,
conservatory training on period instruments? How many people in the SCA can
claim any real expertise in period *instrumental* music? Hell, how many
people in the SCA can play a viola da gamba? In Ansteorra, your options for
serious/obscure music questions pretty much are Master Avatar and myself.
So, while I'm not that active of a participant in the SCA, the work and
research I've done in my little niche field is still here and available;
and I'm sure that there are many others out there who are/were like that.

Just because someone only plays at a local level does not mean that they do
not have something to offer at the kingdom level. Some I teach to someone
about music at one of the few events I go to may eventually find its way
into the hands of a kingdom player and make waves through the entire
kingdom. Actually I heard a story a few years back (in Midrealm I think)
about someone who was made a laurel even though she barely ever went to
events (health issues, I think); she was a professional librarian who did a
good deal of research and publication using the resources that she had
access to due to her professional ties.

Honestly, if I'm going to teach something, then I am going to teach it to
anyone who is interested -- regardless of whether or not they are going to
meet some, arbitrary benchmark of worthiness. The point of groups like the
SCA is to education *everyone* about our area(s) of interest. I don't care
if you are a veteran player asking for help with your A&S entry for Gulf,
or a 6-year-old with a plastic recorder -- both are equally worthy of the
time and effort.

--AS Zorzi