[Ansteorra] Participation vs. Recruitment

Jeffrey Clark jmclark85 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:01:43 PST 2012

"Ok, so that is your vision of the SCA, a bunch of people who conduct
period activities with out ever getting together? That is a better
fulfillment of the SCA mission than being involved in a simulation of
period fighting at an organized event for the enjoyment and instruction of
all who attend? Interesting, obviously i don't agree."

Please note the use of the word "technically" in my statement. As has been
pointed out by others, both kingdom and local players are needed for the
society as a whole to function. While you can assert all day long that
those who go to events are amazing people, I'm sure it can also be
counter-asserted that there are many amazing people who don't.

"Being the only one to be an expert in a period activity in the SCA is a
lot like being the tallest building in a prairie town. And the fact that
that expert is not available at our calendar events but who is only
available in his local area means about as much to the people i am trying
to get to participate in the SCA as the tallest building in a prairie town,
eight hours away."

This is where you are wrong. Due to this awesome thing called "the
internet", invented by the wonderful Mr. Al Gore, distance can be
irrelevant. I have taken, and taught music lessons over Skype; I've
answered questions and help others with research via email. It's a small
world nowadays.

"According to that logic any one with a PhD. in history should not even
have to show up, we should just send them their Laurel in the Mail right
after they submit to us a copy of their thesis, by mail. It is not about
"having something to offer" it is about actually showing up and actually
offering it."

See my above answer. Define for me "showing up". I think that if someone
participates by contributing to the SCA -- through whatever means -- they
deserve recognition and their ideas and contributions deserve as much
thought and consideration as anyone elses, whether it is someone who weaves
and shows off their stuff to events... or our aformentioned calligraphers
who make charters and scrolls.

"Because when you involve your self in something that is popular enough to
draw more students than you have time to teach you have no choice but to
decide who you will teach and who you will not, all I am saying is it is
best for the SCA to teach the ones that will then go to another Calendar
event to pass on what you have taught him."

That may be true to a point, but if I only taught musicians who were going
to calendar events I'd be awfully lonely during the week and have no one to
jam with. One would hope that if I were in an activity that popular, that
there would be others able and willing to teach as well.

--AS Zorzi