[Ansteorra] Recognition (WAS: Travel)

Holly Decker hdec333 at aol.com
Tue Jan 31 14:30:08 PST 2012

:::standing ovation:::
Anna

Honor above all else.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rose <rose_welch at yahoo.com>
To: Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA, Inc. <ansteorra at lists.ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tue, Jan 31, 2012 4:22 pm
Subject: [Ansteorra] Recognition (WAS: Travel)

"There are so many hard workers, great fighters, and talented artistans that
love to play our game that get fed up and leave, simply because they never
recieve the recognition that they should be getting for the things they do. That
happens so much in our everyday, corporate work a day lives that it truly chafes
when we experience it in the game we love."
Quotes from this conversation:

"That woman Ismet mentioned never got the recognition her Kingdom should have
given her because she did not play by someone's set of rules and peacock herself
around saying "look at me! I go to every event and do all this!""

"When we stop encouraging participation we will die.You cannot recognize someone
for their passion when they are dead, you must do it while they are alive and
active. You cannot withhold recognition because a person doesn't have enough
miles racked up or they will be come frustrated and you will lose membership. "

In regards to our award system, I believe that we should move to a less
subjective system of awards. First, we should specify a set of criteria for each
award (think merit badges). Next, we should be clear about who should be keeping
watch for those who need recognition, as part of their office. (Yes, I know
*anyone* can recommend, but that still leaves Milady Worksalot, who everyone
thinks already has an AoA, out in the cold.) I know at least one set of B&Bs who
refuse to put anyone in for anything. They say that other people should come to
them with the recommendation, which they will then endorse. Yet other officers
are specifically told to watch for those deserving of recognition. This is
damned confusing. Anyway, these two simple changes would help alot of folks get
the recognition that helps fuel our volunteering spirit. :)

In service,
Lady Rose the Obnoxious

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium
difficile. ~Hippocrates