[Ansteorra] Recognition (WAS: Travel)

Rose rose_welch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 31 14:22:40 PST 2012

"There are so many hard workers, great fighters, and talented artistans that love to play our game that get fed up and leave, simply because they never recieve the recognition that they should be getting for the things they do. That happens so much in our everyday, corporate work a day lives that it truly chafes when we experience it in the game we love."
Quotes from this conversation:

"That woman Ismet mentioned never got the recognition her Kingdom should have given her because she did not play by someone's set of rules and peacock herself around saying "look at me! I go to every event and do all this!""

"When we stop encouraging participation we will die.You cannot recognize someone for their passion when they are dead, you must do it while they are alive and active. You cannot withhold recognition because a person doesn't have enough miles racked up or they will be come frustrated and you will lose membership. "

In regards to our award system, I believe that we should move to a less subjective system of awards. First, we should specify a set of criteria for each award (think merit badges). Next, we should be clear about who should be keeping watch for those who need recognition, as part of their office. (Yes, I know *anyone* can recommend, but that still leaves Milady Worksalot, who everyone thinks already has an AoA, out in the cold.) I know at least one set of B&Bs who refuse to put anyone in for anything. They say that other people should come to them with the recommendation, which they will then endorse. Yet other officers are specifically told to watch for those deserving of recognition. This is damned confusing. Anyway, these two simple changes would help alot of folks get the recognition that helps fuel our volunteering spirit. :)

In service,
Lady Rose the Obnoxious

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile. ~Hippocrates