[Ansteorra] Same-Gender Consort Proposal

Chris Zakes dontivar at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 04:30:14 PDT 2012

At 12:45 AM 7/18/2012, you wrote:

>I realize there are many more people here who know much more about
>pre 1600 history than I do so please do not take offense when I ask
>this. In what Kingdom in history did the crown rotate every six
>months where the King was determined in a tournament? Usually I am
>relatively indifferent to how the Kings are determined and by what
>means but it seems to exclude people and say we are being
>historically accurate by playing the game the way we do seems to a
>little strange.
>
>Dante

None, of course. Some of the things the SCA does are historically
quite accurate. Some are not accurate, but have a medievaloid flavor.
And some are done to make the overall game play better.

Changing Crowns every few months is in that latter category. Sitting
the throne can be a *very* expensive proposition (several thousand
dollars per reign, I've been told) and since in the SCA, the Crown
*doesn't* get any tax money, very few people could afford to be Crown
as a full-time thing. And if we had crowns-for-life, then all the
spectacle of Crown Tourney, Coronations, King's and Queen's Champions
would hardly ever happen.

         -Tivar Moondragon