[Ansteorra] Questions about crowns and crown tournaments

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jul 20 15:51:19 PDT 2012

I too disagree with the proposition that a change should "cause no harm".
I too agree that it is the net harm that should be considered.

I have been in a couple of contentious changes in the field of
heraldry.  The most contentious was called The Modest Proposal in the
mid-1990s, that henceforth we would conflict-check only against the
most famous non-SCA armory.  There were vitriolic messages.  There
were prophecies of doom and dishonor.  Some people threatened to drop
heraldry or the SCA if it were enacted.

My own opinion was that it ought to be enacted.  Da'ud ibn Auda,
Laurel King of Arms (and Ansteorran, BTW) enacted it.  I think it did
in fact greatly help Society heraldry.  Nevertheless, there were
deeply hurt and even embittered feelings.  A handfull heralds did
leave (but often it wasn't the ones I *wanted* to leave, like -- well,
let's not mention names).  On the other hand, we've gained many good
heralds since then.

A new set of heraldic rules are being phased in now.  People have
complained that they were too hasty, and not well-written, and at 76
pages are far too long.  Luckily, there hasn't been the bitterness
with this set, and I think they're a net good, so I support them.

Danielis de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com