[Ansteorra] Same-Gender Consort Proposal

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jul 19 09:45:38 PDT 2012

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner
<BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com> wrote:
> If Finland (someone of some list suggested that reason) or another
> country's laws is the reason
[then that country's laws would control anyway]

I doubt very much that this was the motivation behind the Board's
proposal, if for no other reason that the Board would have cited it to
provide them with political cover.  As well, what's the point of
asking "yes/no" if "no" would lead to legal problems that they are
trying to prevent?  Also, BurgBorrendohl is correct that real-world
law trumps our own anyway.

Humans are great at detecting patterns ... often when there's no
actual pattern.  I've heard a number of times "the Board/crown/whoever
is doing X because of Y" when it turned out that it was another reason
and maybe Y isn't even true.  So please take such urban legends with a
grain of salt.

I wrote to Mistress Jaelle of Armida, who lives in Helsinki, Finland.
She replied as follows:

It MIGHT be England. They have a sexual equality board that one of our
members called and spoke to the people there, at great length.

They told her it might be illegal, but it was something a judge would
have to decide.

The other part is that the equality board has a VERY small budget, so
only deals with high impact cases. The SCA isn't high impact since
this really only deals with crown/coronet tourneys.

Yes, you may quote/forward this.

Oh yes, we, meaning one of the Finns checked, and our tourney's, as
is, are NOT illegal in Finland, which means probably the same in
Sweden.

In a later message, she sent me a copy of the full posting that she
summarized above.

Daniel Lindonium
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com