[Ansteorra] Questions about crowns and crown tournaments--dead kings

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at valornet.com
Fri Jul 20 03:58:43 PDT 2012

On 7/20/2012 12:31 AM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
> It was relatively rare for a king stepping down to survive the process
> without the winged heels of Hermes.  Hossein al Qomi was an Ansteorran
> herald.  Someone once asked him, "What is the appropriate Arabic term
> for someone who has reigned once?"  He replied "'The late', or if he
> is lucky, 'the blinded and castrated'".

I love Hossein's reply! Interestingly, I once attended a Calontiri
Coronation where the first part of the day was a funeral and mourning of
the outgoing Crown.  It was quite theatrical and when the new heirs were
brought forth, the Court ceremoniously read their lineage throughout the
past reigns of Calontir.  The Heralds had to swear that they were truly
heirs by inheritance, etc.  The Chivalry swore they were fit to defend
the Kingdom and so much pageantry and ceremony was enacted that it made
one truly feel they had stepped back in time.  It was even more
realistic because it was held in a gorgeous Cathedral.

Of course, the former King was later miraculously resurrected. ;-)

Ismet