[Ansteorra] Ticks will be rampant this spring

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 29 18:22:06 PDT 2012

Tim McDaniel wrote:
> I think someone once did an April 1 heraldic submission of
> a centipede tergiant salient rampant passant statant couchant.

It should have been like
"Gules, a centipede tergiant salient rampant courant passant statant couchant sejant argent"

On Thu, 29 Mar 2012, Stefan li Rous <StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> I understood the rampant part, but what does the rest of that mean,
> in English, not heraldese?

tergiant: looking down on its back from above, the axis of its
symmetry up and down, the head upwards (to chief).  The usual
heraldic depiction of arthropods and reptiles.
http://heraldry.historyroad.info/wp-content/uploads/ant.jpg

For the rest,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_%28heraldry%29#Attitudes
salient: leaping; like rampant but with forelegs together and hindlegs together
rampant
courant: running; horizontal with forelegs together and hindlegs together
passant: walking; three legs vertical, one foreleg stepping out
statant: standing; all legs vertical
couchant: lying down; all legs folded under
sejant: sitting; forelegs vertical, hindlegs folded under

Danyell Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com