[Ansteorra] fwd: The Noble Experiment Re-visited. A Mind Exercise for SCAers up to t

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Mar 31 00:50:36 PDT 2012

Just in case folks here might be interested in this.

The first thread, on the Rialto, the rec.org.sca newsgroup, was
actually in 1993, from messages I've found in the Florilegium.

Stefan
===============
The Noble Experiment Re-visited.  A Mind Exercise for SCAers up to t
Posted by: "Erik" irongld at gmail.com irongld
Date: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:12 am ((PDT))

Greetings,

I am Master Erik of Telemark, OL,OP.  I have a fun challenge for
anyone interested.

I don't know how many of you were in the SCA in the 80's but 20+ years
ago, on the Rialto list, a Noble Experiment was launched.  My
recollection of specifics like who actually started it and what year
was targeted are fuzzy.  However the scenario went something like this:

At the height of Pennisc War a square mile around Coopers Lake
Campground was lifted in the dead of night and transported to the
Salsbury Plain in (est) the year 1350AD.

Fast Forward to 2012.  The SCA is 20+ years older. There are 3600
people at Gulf Wars.  The Known World Party is winding down.  An
unexpected fog rolls in.  Larry's power goes out and the water
pressure drops off.  Nothing will be fixed till morning.  Nothing to
do but sleep.

Morning breaks and the fog has lifted.  The power and water are still
out. Interstate 59 is eerily quiet.  Equestrian horses are unusually
restless.  Troll reports no power there either and no one has trolled
in all night.  Cell phones and landlines are out and although the
Watch radios work AM/FM bands are silent.  Then Troll reports there
are no buildings beyond the Gulf Course, only forest.  The Interstate
stops at the underpass.  The Watch sends out scouts who report the
area is ringed in forest and all paved roads stop, dead ending into
the forest.

So begins the Second Noble Experiment!

For the sake of orientation, a square mile around Kings Arrow Ranch
has been moved to a forest in 13th Century England.  Join us on a new
list (TNEII at yahoogroups.com) for an experiment of the mind.  What do
we do now?  How do we survive?  What do we have available?  What
knowledge, skills and resources can we bring to bear on this situation?

To join the experiment simply join the "TNEII" yahoo group.  In your
membership request state you are in the SCA and interested in
participating in the Noble Experiment.  I will do my best to keep
spammers out.

Do You Want To Play a Game?
Master Erik
--------