[Ansteorra] Conversation starter...

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Mon May 14 17:03:48 PDT 2012

greetings

my story actually starts in Orlando fla. ( trimaris ) in 1980 where a friend
from the rocky horror picture show ( Columbia - I think we called her  lil
Debbie , petit girl with wonderful long blond hair, nurse I believe  ; )
often talked of the sca . but being broke all I could do was think it
sounded like fun .2 years later I arrive back in Tulsa ok. on the Friday of
" okon " ( science fiction fan convention  ) and heard it announced on the
radio of the motorcycle I was riding, so I unpacked, and went  to check it
out, now for those not familiar with Tulsa history, that year okon was held
at the " Camelot " hotel, which was modeled after a castle, its pool was
shield shaped, and it even had a big sword stuck in a concrete " rock " ,
and here's this group of people hitting each other with big sticks wearing
carpet armor and chain mail, so I check them out as well, turns out their
from the shire of northkeep , ansteorra, in the sca ,and they do all these
fun activities, and I should come check them out. well still being broke,
that didn't happen, later on I was riding by this park just off of Peoria,
and there are people hitting each other with big sticks, so I'm like hey
that must be those sca people, so I discovered that yes indeed it was they ,
and that they were there every sat . and that they called it " fighter
practice" and that was why every time I saw them they were trying to pound
each other with sticks. so I would stop in from time to time, and sit on my
bike and watch these sca people, now northkeep people being the shy type, it
only took about 3 times before I had people telling me I should come sit
with them and see what else the sca had to offer , ( since I didn't seem to
be in a big hurry to let a bunch of crazed people beat on me with sticks : )
,there were people sewing, and chatting, and reading, and spinning, and
doing other things as well ,  I got invited to a couple of revels, and
actually went to them even if only for a short time .
then one day Marc l'Haut de Provence and  Roselynde d'Angleterre  whose
house the revels had been at ask what I was doing on " x weekend " and I
said ( being my ever kool self ) ( ok, ok, I can be kool in my own memories
if I want to ; ) I don't know , what am I doing on x- weekend ??
and they said why your going to vatavia for their valor tourney with us .
and I'm like  ok......" thinks to self " well maybe there will be cute
girls, and booze"  ... sure why not ; ) . so they tell me when to be at
their house, and I show up help load car and trailer, squeeze into a portion
of the backseat of the car, and off we go.
get to the event , help set up a few tents, put on loaner garb, and start
wandering around, and here are all these friendly people, and yes some cute
girls,and some good booze , and some booze I would rather have never even
sniffed, let alone drank ( for those who have had the displeasure , think
very green mead ) and they had archery = ) ,and it seemed like a hundred
other things , all magical ,  needless to say by the end of the event , I
was hooked, and all because a couple people took care of the gas, site,
feast, garb for one event : )  , little did I know or imagine all the people
I would meet , the friends I would come to know, or even the number of
offices I would hold in the many years to come , I've lived in 2 kingdoms
since that event , but I always wind up coming home to northkeep and
ansteorra : )
yea, I know , its 30 years later and everything is more expensive, and wages
haven't gone up as fast as expenses ,and gas is outrageous, the drinking age
has gone up and there's a nubie tax now, it seems more and more the sca is
run by the lawyers and not common sense , but I still sort of miss a lot of
the old days : / ( but not those awful golf tube combat arrows : ( , or
those ugly Freon can helmets   )
but hey , alls not lost , I just picked up a project bike ( 1982 magna v-45
750 with just a few missing pieces = ) so I may soon have another " charger
" on which to ride off into the sunset after rescuing all those damsels in
distress : )

many of the memories begin to fade, but I try to hold onto the happy ones,
the unhappy ones aren't worth remembering anyway ; )

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur