[Ansteorra] Lifetime Membership

Ld.blackmoon ld.blackmoon at cox.net
Wed May 16 22:50:32 PDT 2012

greetings

>>But what about
> something with a quantifiable, recurring cost, like postage for print
> newsletters? If someone was born to parents in the SCA who signed them
> up for membership as teenagers, it is conceivable that they would
> qualify for lifetime before they were 50 years old and play for
> another 20 years after that. 20 years of mailings are going to add up.<<

except that postage is no longer or soon will  no longer be an issue for
most news letters as the sca is going online only for membership news
letters with paper copies costing extra .
and didn't I hear that even membership cards will eventually be printed on
your home printer , and not received in the mail ??

>By keeping up your payments you may one
> day qualify for lifetime membership. Which might encourage people to
> keep paying instead of lapsing when life gets in the way and they know
> they're not going to be attending anything for a while anyway.<<

yes unfortunately " life happens " like having to choose between a
membership fee, and going to events , or paying rent, or feeding yourself or
a family, or even having gas to go to work the next week  : /

at the current membership fee, and the current non member penalty , a person
would have to go to 9 events before his penalties would equal his membership
costs , so for those who are single, it is actually cheaper to pay the
penalty at each event , especially if they know finances / work / or life
won't allow them to go to 9 events in a year .

as for the " benefits" of paying for a membership..... lets see, the sca
benefits when people buy memberships, the kingdoms benefit when people buy
memberships, the local groups benefit when people buy memberships, but what
about the individual purchasing the membership ?  well they get a membership
card that's only valid if they remember to carry it on them, ( or have a
picture of it on their phone ) at events , they get access to a private web
page with electronic news letters on it , they get the privilege of being
able to volunteer their time , energy, and knowledge to become a volunteer
officer ,and / or marshal for the local, kingdom, or society offices, and
they can " possibly " fight in crown tourneys ...
( hhmmmm , doesn't look too appealing to newbie's ( unless they want to be
king )

I have to admit it seems odd to me that I continue to purchase a membership
every year ( currently $45.00 ) in order to spend many hours of my time,
energy and knowledge, every year marshaling, teaching, cleaning, doing
paperwork, etc . , but then again I like to feel needed and useful, so maybe
it's not too crazy to keep paying $45.00 a year to work for both local group
and kingdom group , even if I have to cut other corners just to attend local
events. $4000.00 a year just doesn't go as far as it used to : (

oh and before people start having too big a cow I have been an officer
constantly , sometimes more than one office at the same time , on the local,
regional, and kingdom deputy levels for going on 10 years , and just renewed
my membership because of empty offices needing filled ,for which I have
applied . so if paying to work for a " non profit " is crazy, I must
certainly be qualified : )

Be Safe , Be Happy, Have Fun .
Arthur