[Ansteorra] Crown Coronets

Lori C. countesskat at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 22:13:59 PDT 2013

I'm pretty sure Elizabeth II was crowned with St. Edward's Crown which does indeed weigh almost 5lbs. She switched it out fairly quickly for the Imperial State Crown, a lightweight at 2 lbs - which explains why she's wearing that one in all the photos. I can't find any reference to using the coronation crown for other state occasions... there are smaller ones I've seen in pictures, but in recent decades they seem to prefer tiaras. And wouldn't anyone???

If a British crown inspired our large kingdom crowns, I'd bet it was St Edward's. Or at least, the current version of St. Edwards... it seems to be a remake of the 11th century version using a "new" design (1661AD).
~ Kat M.