[Ansteorra] Crown Coronets

HerrDetlef herrdetlef at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 06:02:01 PDT 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSyLLWZ5jp8

The URL above links to a video of Her Majesty describing the stones in the
Imperial State Crown, in which she explains that the St. Edward's Crown is
only worn at the exact moment of crowning in a Coronation, while the
Imperial State Crown is worn at all other state occasions (such as the
State Opening of Parliament, the occasion for which the Imperial State
Crown happened to be at Buckingham Palace at the time the video was made).

Heraldic crowns have inspired most of Ansteorra's crowns (a crown indented,
like on the kingdom coat of arms, inspiring the four-pointed crowns that we
have had since before I started playing; or an ancient crown, such as the
crown with the motto around the band). I'm not sure what the model is for
the crowns King Jean Paul and Queen Gilyan commissioned (which Their
Majesties the current King and Queen have been wearing through much of
their reign). They selected that design from among a number of designs that
were submitted to them. The British crowns have fleurs-de-lis alternating
with crosses pattee. I don't think that design has ever been replicated in
an SCA crown.

The current St. Edward's Crown was commissioned for Charles II's
restoration to the throne of England in the 1660's. It was designed to
replace an earlier crown that had been destroyed during the English Civil
War.

Yours in these Current Middle Ages,
Detlef von Marburg, CSM

   Levavi oculos meos in montes,