[Ansteorra] Your Home is Your Castle

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Aug 12 20:40:03 PDT 2013

Yep to JP's comment.

Also castles only really worked until the besieger ran out of patience (or money). A big part of their defense was simply to wait for reinforcements from other groups on your side.

"Each person we share this info with is one person that we don't have to fight."

Uh, no. They say they won't give a position, but I suspect a bit of looking with Google maps should pinpoint the location.

The ex-officier could probably do with reading some military histories of castles and why they fell or didn't.

Tivar is right about the windows and I see no outer curtain wall. Many late period castles, were meant more as mansions instead of defensive positions and suffer from this same problem. From the looks of it, the walls are only cinderblock thick, if that. It would take very little in the way of a siege engine to ruin the place, much less a little bit of explosive, made out of perhaps fuel oil and fertilizer to level the walls.

Medieval castle walls were much thicker and they were often surrounded by moats or curtain walls to keep someone from getting close with explosives or mining.

The walls are not that high. You wouldn't need much in the way of a ladder to scale them.

Some of you have defended and assaulted the Gulf Wars castle. This one is about that size. How would you have liked to have defended the castle with only half-a-dozen men? Could you?

Even on top of all that, considering where the castle is located, I wonder if they have a secure well or water supply within its walls.

Crossbows are good, but unless something happens to keep firearms from firing (See "Dies the Fire" stories by S.M. Stirling that Tivar mentioned), I'd still rather have a collection of firearms and lots of ammunition, as well as the crossbows.

So, IMHO, cute, but not all that functional.

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris