[Ansteorra] on leaving the SCA--

James Crouchet james at crouchet.com
Tue Feb 5 12:44:44 PST 2013

It's surprising how much damage the Coronet process can do, isn't it?  Even
if you are "prepared" for it.  It's brutal to those who participate and
I've got to think that in our zeal to select the best B&B we are not
recognizing the damage the process does.

Considering that the candidates are typically the most active, contributing
members of the barony, reducing their enthusiasm for the SCA is a real blow
to the group. I can't imagine that going through that leaves one in good
condition to start a rein either.  Win or lose, I think it leaves scars.

We have tried to stay active, to support our group.  Though it was not us
we are pleased with the choice the crown made and with what or new B&B have
done.  It would have sucked to have to fake that but fortunately that was
not necessary.  But we just don't feel the same drive any more.  When work
and health became issues for us we did not have the will to push through it
and keep our participation up anyway as we would have in the past.

We have found a new passion in equestrian, and my students keep me involved
in rapier, but if I had some free time to do whatever I wanted I would
probably choose just to dig in my garden or pet my horse.

Christian Doré