[Ansteorra] The Discussions

Jerry Herring jherring68 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:14:23 PST 2013

Greetings All,
Why don't we all think about what were magical moments for those of us who
have been at this a while?  We can take those memories as fuel for our
actions in helping make more of that magic happen for new people. If those
magical moments are one of the things that helps people feel they are a
part of the SCA.

I know one way that helped me feel more of the magic was speaking in a
manner that lent more to a medieval mindset, addressing others with proper
titles, acting more courtly, and when talking excluding or camouflaging
modernism.  I do not do this as much as I should now but there was a time
when I once came home from a war and answering a call from a customer asked
"How may I be of Service miLord". From now on I will certainly make more of
an effort at talking more "forsoothly" simply in hopes that by my actions I
might help make some magic happen for a newer person.

Another thing that lent magic to the SCA for me was the bardic circle where
the songs that were sung could be joined in and everyone sang along. Back
when I was fresh and new in the SCA in Calontir after court was over there
would be a party around a bonfire, Master Pavel Iosevich would bring up
coolers of drinks and Sit Erick Hlodowechssun would play the guitar then
every one would sing. The songs that were sang ranged from traditonal
SCA,baudy, to historical but not period pieces and they were magic. Those
nights of bardic circles had songs that everyone knew or had words that
were easy to learn and courses that were meant to be catchy: Song of the
Shield Wall, The Knight's Leap, The rising of the Moon, and many more.
Ansteorra used to do those same kinds of Bardic sing alongs.

Please don't get me wrong I see shining moments where the magic like that
of when I was young happens again those times just seem fewer and farther
between than they used to. Here is my personal challenge to do what I can
to generate situations where something memorable can occur while also
striving to find new ways to expose more people to the SCA in hopes that
others will find this place and its people as magical as I do.

Kindly
Ian
**