[Ansteorra] ideas... long

Uillicc uilliacc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 13:43:45 PST 2013

The cost of getting there-- fuel prices-- has an impact on the number of
events many of us can get to...  There are some solutions to that, but
it is a major factor.

As far as atmosphere, I don't think you can over-estimate the effect
that being under a burn-ban for the last 10 years has had on what people
take away from events...  10-12 years ago, if you asked our kids what
the SCA smelled like-- leather and wood smoke were some of the first
answers...  This missing element has impacted the bardic element fairly
hard it seems... And in firelight it is easy not to notice a mundane
chair, or tent lying at the edge of the campsite.

As far as the newness wearing off... it does...  It gets where the
really special moments are farther in between...  That's because we get
a little jaded.  It's easy to try and blame all sorts of things that
other people do for us becoming jaded, but it is always really our
problem...  Finding happiness always relies more on what is going on
inside of us than outside of us...

Wishing for wetter weather,
uillecc