[Ansteorra] Question in general

Susan O'Neal catmafia03 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 04:59:49 PDT 2013

First off Ainar, I don't know if I missed it or congratulated you and
forgot; but I am so glad you have been recognized for what you are.

That is many ways is how I had it explained to me; being recognized
for what you are.  If I remember correctly, you are one of the ones in
which the 'assumptions' made for a very long wait for very low level
recognitions.  My personal feelings are very much like Montega's; you
work to create and find as much joy in this endeavor for yourself and
others.  If you are awarded, that is great; if not you are doing what
you enjoy and you love.  I have seen so many people (with many
recognitions) get bitter because of not getting something more that
they thought that they deserved.  It caused the whole endeavor to be
painful for them and they often pull away at that time.  If you do it
for the doing the things you like and supporting the whole so it can
happen, you should be good.

Back again to the aspect of 'what does it mean' and 'what do people
look for'.  My best guess is there is this elusive combo of: if you
were the crown and wanted to offer up a exempliary example of
something/someone and this is someone you feel safe relying on, they
are deserving of some tangible aknowledgement to help others see/know
the same thing.  On the flip side; when you bring a new person into
the SCA and you are wanting them to see the best of what we have to
offer, who do you guide them to?  In my mind, those two perspectives
really do help demonstrate who the people are who should be
aknowledged.

I understand aspects of traveling; but I also think that people who
are incredibly knowledgable or full of service, should be able to move
up the award system.  I know my perspective is shaped by years with
Girl Scouts at all ages; but as I understand it these are
aknowldegments of skills/efforts/service in many and diverse areas,
the emblems help to allow others to see what you have skills in.  Part
of it is to help guide each persons develop if they are wanting to
work their way up; many in the SCA enjoy doing that and I'll admit I
don't get it, but it is an aspect of the game that has meaning for
them.

But I think skills/service should also be aknowledged without a person
having to break the bank, strain all of their family relationships,
and create other imbalences in their life to just be able to wear a
certain ribbon.  I think this all or nothing mentality is one of the
most dangerous ones in the SCA.  Tying this to an often discussed
topic of membership; I think often one of the greatest populations for
recruitment is overlooked completely, those who have been apart of the
SCA before.  When I was a hospitaller I was thrilled with each old
member I was able to help guide their way back in; reasuring them that
they would be just fine doing what they were able and we'd love to see
them.  It doesn't have to be pushed as an all consuming lifestyle;
people can be apart by taking part in a monthly activty with a single
guild, and that is ok. There are many that time has passed since the
hurt feelings of old battles have past; I have seen friendship and
understanding come to people with forgivenes from past hurts that were
horrid.  Oftentimes life takes people away, their commitments don't
leave room for what they'd want to be doing in the SCA; but with time
those commitments change, a decade or two later the kids are far from
toddlers.

I drifted, as I oft do.  To tie this back, if I can; the peers I
respect the most are the ones you feel confident that if you have an
issue and take it to them, they will have the insite to handle it
well.  If art, they will help you if it is in their area or be able to
find you someone who can.  If fighting, they will act with honor and
share there knowledge as opposed to hording it.  If service, they know
how to get things done and will be mentoring those around them so that
they too know how to get things done.  As to evaluation; I lean toward
it being based on what they just normally do as opposed to a pushed
effort to be sure all see them,miust to be aknowldeged.

Truely, I think it is just in you; and not all that have it will be
awarded.  I know so many friends who have gone from 'ordinary
citizens' to Dukes, Counts, Kights, Pelicans, and Laurels.  In all of
the ones I'm thinking about, there was a fire inside that lead the way
on that path.  In how the populace can help; when you see that spark
in someone, nurture it and them along their path. Provide a mirror to
shine their light around, so that others know of their doing.  Beware
of taking people for granted, thank them for what they have done and
periodically go over the OP and look to see if there is an absence of
what you expected to see; if there is, write them up for accomidation
and encourage those around to do the same. Aknowledging what is there
is a great way to encourage more of it.  Also, based on something
Arthur said; look at the whole person and what they are and do.  A
holistic approach, I would think, would see service for the service
that it is; and not an isolated thing just related to an art or
martial activity.

Ok, stepping down off of the soap box, thanks for asking the question
Ainar.  I can honestly say that when I was hospitaller and was looking
for someone to introduce people to that showed all that was good and
honorable in our society; you were always one of the first people I
looked for.
Susan the Curious