[Ansteorra] Question in general

Marc commander.truestar at verizon.net
Mon Jul 22 15:31:32 PDT 2013

Greetings Milady Erlina,

I will preface my answer by first saying that some laws and customs
differ from Kingdom to Kingdom and I am from the East.

But I'd first say that the "positions" of Laurel, Pelican or Knight
are not offices.  They are recognition of skill and service as well
as recognition of those efforts at the Society level.
These levels of award are generally gained over a road that is as
long or short as one's fate may cause.

One starts at some point in their "SCA career" and begins to gain
recognition for their work, be it in force of arms(Knighthood),
Service to the SCA(Pelican) or in the Arts and sciences(Laurel).  As
one grows in such recognition, they come to the awareness of their
King and Queen through letters of recommendation.  Soon they begin
the path from local awards and recognition to "Kingdom Level" awards
and then...should their skill and work warrant it...to the Society level.

Outside those positions, there are offices at the local and Kingdom
level as well as the Society level.
     Kings and Queens are determined by force of arms in Crown
Tournament.  This statement is a simplification of the method but is
essentially correct.
         Once a King or Queen has served once, they are created a
Count or Countess on stepping down from the thrown
         Once a King or Queen have served two reigns, they are
created a Duke or Duchess on stepping down from the thrown
     "Landed"Barons and Baronesses are selected by the ruling
Monarchs at the time of such a need.  Those Monarchs do take a
"polling" of the group to be inspired, but are not
        bound by this(at least in the East) as the Baron and Baroness
are their representatives in the Barony.
     "Court"Barons and Baronesses are selected and appointed by the
Crown at their desire for service or other actions which those
Monarchs have found of such extreme note

Kingdoms may be split into Principalities as is currently the case in
the East, where we have the Principality of Tia Mara.
     These regions hold Coronet Tournaments to Select their Prince
and Princess in the same way we select Kings and Queens

Beyond that are the offices that make our Society work.  Those many
volunteers who handle jobs from the local to the Society
level.  These volunteers are selected by the laws and rules put in
place by that group and the Kingdom they reside in.  I am both the
Baronial Herald and Historian from my local group, and have been
elected to those posts.  The same can be said of my Lady wife, our Chatelaine.

While you can ask any officer, you have three officers specifically
suited for further information on this.
These are your Seneschal, your Herald and Your Chatelaine
    Your Seneschal is that volunteer who is legally responsible for
the proper running of your group.  Every group must have one and they
govern the operation and legal compliance
          with real world as well as SCA rules and laws.
    Your Herald is in charge of a number of responsibilities
including the understanding and explanation of Awards and recognition
    Your Chatelaine is the "Welcome Wagon", responsible for helping
new members or even those interested in our Society to join in and
get the most fun from any event(s) they
          attend.

I invite you to write me directly and recommend you reach out to your
local group officers for better information suited to your home Kingdom.
If you are not aware of who those officers are, email me directly
with your zip code and I will let you know as much information about
your home group as I can find.
Much of this can be found starting with the SCA website, and your
Kingdom's own website.

Yours in Service,
     Lord Mithgiladan the Herald