[Ansteorra] Time Period

Brett Chandler-Finch naturemakeswell at gmail.com
Mon Jul 29 11:30:16 PDT 2013

While there are references as far back as the 14th century to plague
doctors wearing bird masks. The commonly seen image of the doctor with
plague mask. Hat. Coat staff etc.  Has been attributed by medical scholars
to Charles de Lorme  In 1619.      The costume was designed to keep odors
out which was the primary thought of disease transmission of the day.
Germ theory was not developed until the 19th century.   It was also the
identification of the plague doctor who had to follow strict agreements and
quarantine regulations.  He was hired by towns and cities to specifically
care for plague victims.

One of the reasons I am building the outfit is that it will provide a
period foul weather set of clothing.     I am going to be using either wax
cloth or oil cloth for the outer coat.