[Ansteorra] doctors, beggars and other unusual personas

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jul 29 08:54:51 PDT 2013

On Jul 29, 2013, at 1:15 AM, Brett Chandler-Finch <naturemakeswell at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have heard the sca time period extends either to 1600 or1650.   I am
> interested in recreating a plague doctor outfit  for an A&S Project.   The
> costume was invented in 1619.    Would this be too late for an A&S project.

A good question might be "What were the outfits made out of?". If they are woolen, they would be mighty hot in the Ansteorran summer, I'd think. :-) But I'm not sure you can get a good black with period dyes with linen. But maybe the actual outfits weren't anywhere as deep and good black in reality as shown in the illuminations?

For those who might be interested in other unusual personas, either temporarily or more permanent, see these Florilegium files:
beggers-msg (14K) 4/17/97 Beggers in the SCA and period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/UNCAT/beggers-msg.html

per-insanity-msg (30K) 4/17/08 Insane personas, insanity in period.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/per-insanity-msg.html

per-lepers-msg (9K) 2/23/01 Stories of using leper personas.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PERSONAS/per-lepers-msg.html

I would love to hear details about other unusual personas that folks have done or seen.

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris