No subject

Wed Apr 9 15:39:36 PDT 2014

diverged until the rediscovery of them in Wales in the 1920's.  The dog
breeders who "found" them mistakenly believed they were the same breed and
bred them together for about 10 years.  This caused the naturally tailess
Pembroke, to once again have a tail because they were bred with the
Cardigans who have always had tails.  Now in modern times only about 20% of
the Pembrokes are naturally tailless due to this mistaken interbreeding.

I personally have a Cardigan Corgi, Ch. Kingsbury's Copyright a.k.a. "Jake".
   His mother is the top-winning Cardigan in the modern history of the
breed, and has won Best of Breed at shows like Westminster.  Most of the
articles below are from a Cardigan perspective because I have researched
them more than Pembrokes.  I hope you will find them interesting.

http://www.cardigancorgis.com
go to About the Cardigan, then History
http://www.cheysuli.com/cardigancorgis/cardigan.htm
a good brief history and explanation of the differences between Pembroke and
Cardigan
http://www.cwcorgi.com/Aragorn/history1.htm
describes the "rediscovery" of the breeds"
http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/cardigans.html
Another short history, including a few facts not in the other articles
http://home.austin.rr.com/bryndir/CWCWebPage.html
This website dates Cardigan Corgis to possibly as early as 1200 B.C.
http://users.cybercity.dk/~bse9647/myweb/Cardigan%20History.htm
One of my favorite histories.

>Also, I would love info on other tailed dogs, know
>that Corgies, Australian Shepards and Heelers will throw with a short or
> >non tail, are there any others?

I know that the Schipperke is tailless and I believe that there are other
Spitz-type dogs that are also tailless but I can't name any others off the
top of my head. Here is an interesting website about how they are now
breeding bobtailed Boxers (by crossing them with Pembrokes).

http://www.nightrider.com/bu/1998%20issues/oct_bu_98/bobtail.htm

Incidentally, Australian Shepherds are not actually from Australia at all.
They are an American breed, developed here.  What is believed to have
happened is that their ancestors belonged to Basque shepherds (from the
Basque region in the Pyrenese Mts in France and Spain)who happened to arrive
in the U.S. with boatloads of Australian sheep. There is a Pyrenean Shepherd
that looks remarkably similar to the Aussie and is probably a much older
breed.

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to e-mail me. My
specialties are Cardigan Corgis and Australian Shepherds.

Anna Jo Isbell
LowRyder Kennels
Norman, OK